View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottji View Post
FYI -- he's from California, and in this sorry excuse for a state, Autozone cannot scan for codes. Our state considers scanning a car for codes "auto repair" for which one must be a licensed mechanic with the state of Kalifornia before performing. I'm still trying to figure out whether it's the state simply being its typical greedy and over-intrusive self, or whether some organized mechanics group lobbied the state legislature to prohibit parts stores from scanning in some sort of corrupt back-room deal. I wouldn't be surprised by either.

Find a reputable indy shop. If you want to drive down to SD, I have some suggestions. Otherwise, perhaps other LA/OC-area festers can recommend an indy.
Or he could buy his own OBDII scanner for cheaper than 1 diagnosis at the Stealer abd have it for future codes that will undoubtedly occur. I keep one in my glove box and it has paid for itself many times over. Even if you can go to Autozone it still saves you trips across town, or better yet if your car wont start to get it over there