Thread: Run Flat Tires
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Side note (but an important one). It's great that you have the spare, but have you ever tried jacking the X5 up with the factory scissors jack? Do yourself a huge favor and try it this weekend in your driveway. Now imagine doing a tire change with this POS at night, in the rain, on the side of the road. At the VERY minimum you need to carry a 3' by 3' plywood pad. A floor jack would be even better, but who wants to drive around with a missile like that in the back?

Heck, just demounting the wheel can be a challenge when it freezes to the hub. How many of us carry a big enough mallet with us? And jack stands? I would NEVER risk whacking away on a frozen wheel if the X5 was supported by just the factory scissors jack. But how are you going to mount the spare otherwise?

In some respects, RFT's aren't such a bad idea after all.
I would also recommend taking off each wheel and covering your hubs with anti-seize. This will prevent the frozen wheel issue. I do it every season when I swap my winter/summers and I have not had a frozen wheel since my 540 M-sport. Great insurance for 45 min of work. If you are not equipped or have the ability to do this yourself, buy some anti-seize and bring it with you when you get you new tires or when you get you wheels balanced and they can put it on for you
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500