View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Thanks for the review & nice story. I can understand driving fast with the long trip but I kinda wish someone would actually drive the speed limit instead of 5, 10 15 or 20 MPH over it in each of these reviews to give us an idea of what fuel economy is possible with these SUVs. I read one review where a guy averaged 80MPH (that is an AVERAGE which included him slowing down for exit ramps, etc so he was probably doing more like 85 MOST of the way & he got similar fuel economy. Just once, I'd like to see what kind of fuel economy someone gets driving 65 on the interstate for 4 hours or so. It would also be helpful to know if there were head-winds that may have impeded your progress (or tail-winds that assisted should that be the case). Coming through the Mountains like you did, I would say that your fuel economy may not have been too bad. Not certain if there were any drive train differences between the '11 & the '12s so I'll have to check my 75MPH speed and get back with you to let you know if ours are @ 2,500RPMs as well at that speed.

PS - I do have a ski trip planned so will be able to report my results in another thread in about a week and a half. I will have a hitch-mounted ski rack that imparts a minor amount of wind resistance but should not make 0.5 MPG difference
Actually, somebody did drove at the speed limit of 55 mph in Canada. His MPG was very good. He drove at that speed to enjoy the view.