View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci Convertible
Lightbulb DIY: How to remove the front grills WITHOUT removing the bumper

So I had a grill with some bubbly chrome I wanted to replace. Did some searching and the common response is to remove the bumper. Really didn't want to do that if I could avoid it, so I looked at the replacement grill and noticed it's held-on with 7 clips. If I reached in the grill I could feel and get to all 7 clips, but with your fingers there's no way to get into the center of the clip to depress it.

Then it hit me, the radiator hose removal tool!

I got mine at a Big Lots, but you can get them at most automotive stores or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4521-Hose-...sim_sbs_auto_1

With a flashlight you can look in the grill to see where the clips are. Starting on the bottom 3 clips insert the tool and get it under the center of the tab:

Then, just angle the tool up and depress the center tab while gently pulling on the grill to remove that tab:

Once the bottom clips are released move to the top. Start with the clip nearest the center of the bumper and continue until you have the grill removed:

Here you can see the old grill at the top and the new grill on the bottom. Old grill had the chrome starting to bubble at the top left:

Now just push the new grill back-in and you're done!

Took all of about 10 minutes to replace. On a related note, if anyone needs a driver-side chrome grill with some slight bubbling let me know.
Advertisement