Thread: Vacuum Leak
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9benua View Post
Well, what will be the result of ignoring vacuum leak?

I've had this problem for awhile now and the codes only showed up in winter. Since my inspection in summer, my car always pass them. There's no hesitation, no rough idling, mpg is still quite good (got 28+mpg on a recent roadtrip), no problem at all with my car. I've tried to get it fixed and changed couple of hoses, yet it's still there.

Recently I get a wheel alignment done by indies. He scanned it and saw the codes. He's asking for $65 to diagnose it and most likely he pointed to oil separator problem. He's asking for $500 for oil separator job. Is that reasonable?
Your indy scanned the codes and now is asking $65 to diagnose?? What were the codes? CVV is typically pretty simple to diagnose -- either it's covered in oil, or makes a whale mating sound. I think Blubee did a good write-up on this somewhere.

If it includes parts, $500 seems to be a reasonable price for an indy. I think book time is around 3-4 hrs. Depending on how you value your time, might be worth it to buy the parts (~$125) and DIY. Also gives you a chance to clean your ICV, MAF, TB, inspect your OFHG and DISA, and get to know your car in a more intimate and back-achy manner. First-timer, give yourself 6-7 hours.