View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
There isn't "ample data" - just reports on chat boards.

Anecdotally, I recently brought my car in for my 7,500 mile change. My most excellent service advisor said "I'd love to take your money, but it is really not necessary." The dealer is not shy about recommending service, he just didn't think early oil changes accomplish much.

I did go ahead and have it changed, but the point is that a lot of folk who know more about BMWs than you or I ever will do not agree with the frequent change intervals.
Your point goes to motivation. If BMW adopts a corporate policy to offer extended oil change intervals, anyone who is employed by BMW and goes public with their disagreement risks becoming an ex-employee. As a counter-point, I would submit that DSX knows more about BMWs than you or I combined. Yet he is one of the ones recommending a 6-8K oil and filter change interval. Even when he doesn't personally benefit. I have multiple analysis reports from Blackstone that confirm the oil is close to being depleted at the 8,000 mile point. 7,500 miles is a convenient threshold for me, so I do changes at that point. Why do you do changes at 7,500 miles?