View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Your point goes to motivation. If BMW adopts a corporate policy to offer extended oil change intervals, anyone who is employed by BMW and goes public with their disagreement risks becoming an ex-employee. As a counter-point, I would submit that DSX knows more about BMWs than you or I combined. Yet he is one of the ones recommending a 6-8K oil and filter change interval. Even when he doesn't personally benefit. I have multiple analysis reports from Blackstone that confirm the oil is close to being depleted at the 8,000 mile point. 7,500 miles is a convenient threshold for me, so I do changes at that point. Why do you do changes at 7,500 miles?
My SA would benefit from me betting more frequent oil changes. Yet, he discourages me from doing so because based on his expertise and experience, he does not view it as necessary.

I do changes at 7,500 miles because I personally think it makes good sense. I also see little reason not to. For $90 extra a year, why give it a second thought? In fact, I will stick to Mike Miller's schedule as long as I own a BMW.

To be clear, I am not trying to argue that BMW's oil change schedule is optimal. I simply agree with Sunny's point - there really isn't any compelling evidence to the contrary.

I also rotate my tires every 5,000 miles and I plan to swap out the water pump early as a preventative measure.

Better safe than sorry!

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 12-07-2012 at 02:31 PM.