View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
I think you need to find a new body shop. It normally requires a skilled shop to make aftermarket bumpers fit. The fact that they would even consider installing the skin without a carrier in place would make me run for the hills to find a new place. There might be fitment issues but still, suggesting the carrier needs to be removed is crazy.

What ever you do DO NOT drive the car without your rear reinforcement bar installed. That bar is designed to take the hit when you get rear-ended, without it your car would probably be a write-off even in a small accident. And I would bet insurance would not cover the repair if they knew you removed the bar.

The M6 bar in your eBay link is a CF version of the 650i bar, it will not help fitment since it is the exact same shape as the aluminum 650i bar.

It's hard to tell from the pics but I do not see any major problem with the front bumper. In the pic there is a 5" gap to the front carrier but the bumper is 5" out from the final resting spot. The top lip on the bumper skin (which was not pre-drilled so the shop needs to dill the 7 holes) goes where those 7 holes are by the hood latch receptacle. The bumper skin does not attach to the carrier in any event. I would compare the Duraflex vs the OEM bumper and check how close the attachment points (holes) are between the two.

There are other holes that need to be drilled based on the pics.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-07-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo