View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Yes, but I get a new BMW to drive for the day lol. That's worth a $100. . This is the last and only thing I do at the dealer.

Honestly I could do this myself for about $150 in fluid and filter in my garage. I have done it at least 100 times over the years. The issue is three fold why I haven't yet done it:

1) I need a high capacity fluid transfer pump. I only have a small one right now designed for low fluid apps like differential and transfer case. A good one is about $80 to $150.

2) I need a good instant read infrared digital thermometer to measure temps to make sure I filled it full enough...remember no dipstick to check after getting up to operating temp and you went through all gears and sport mode and back to park (5 seconds in each). Another $100 to $150 for a good one...granted second change both would have paid for itself.

3) I had the 100k mile maintenance plan and didn't want any flack from the dealer about not wanting to touch it at 100k miles even though it was recommended. So I paid at 50k and 75k when I was in for inspection 1/2 on BMWs dime. I also see value in using the same fluid each time because its darn near impossible to get a few quarts of fluid out of the torque converter.

I might just do it myself at 125k if the dealer will sell me 8 quarts of the dex 6 they used....heck at that point what's the harm....

Last edited by x3brian; 12-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.