View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: BMW E39
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
At 154K, your car is just broken in!

If you DIY, this is what makes the e39 affordable. For the e39, you have a HUGE support network for problems and DIY fixes. Forget the e60, if you even think about DIY. e60 owners don't know the working end of a screwdriver. Visit the e60 forum and you'll see what I mean. The major technical question is "dealer or indy?"

If you DIY, you have already solved some of the major problems. A suspension refresh will make the car ride and handle like new. At $1,200 in parts, that's a bit pricey. But it is chump change compared to car payments. If you are looking for a "no worries" driving experience, go Japanese. But that would involve additional cost.

I personally believe that the post-100K miles on a well kept e39 are the best and cheapest miles you can get. Once you do cooling, suspension, Vanos and CCV upgrades, you should get another 75K-100K of great driving. If you haven't changed your ATF at 154K, leave it be. Even if the slushbox craps out, the cost to replace it is cheaper than buying a different car.

Just my $.02

Is the e60 really made to be complicated and difficult to DIY or is it just that there isn't much support yet since they are still young in years? If a tech at the dealership or indy shop can learn to work on it, so can we, right? With a good service manual as a guide ofcourse.