View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
At 154K, your car is just broken in!

If you DIY, this is what makes the e39 affordable. For the e39, you have a HUGE support network for problems and DIY fixes. Forget the e60, if you even think about DIY. e60 owners don't know the working end of a screwdriver. Visit the e60 forum and you'll see what I mean. The major technical question is "dealer or indy?"

If you DIY, you have already solved some of the major problems. A suspension refresh will make the car ride and handle like new. At $1,200 in parts, that's a bit pricey. But it is chump change compared to car payments. If you are looking for a "no worries" driving experience, go Japanese. But that would involve additional cost.

I personally believe that the post-100K miles on a well kept e39 are the best and cheapest miles you can get. Once you do cooling, suspension, Vanos and CCV upgrades, you should get another 75K-100K of great driving. If you haven't changed your ATF at 154K, leave it be. Even if the slushbox craps out, the cost to replace it is cheaper than buying a different car.

Just my $.02

Is the e60 really made to be complicated and difficult to DIY or is it just that there isn't much support yet since they are still young in years? If a tech at the dealership or indy shop can learn to work on it, so can we, right? With a good service manual as a guide ofcourse.