View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Many debate the reason for the feature, I look at it this way: It's the "wife" button. If you get a Sport line and have a wife that finds it uncomfortable you can hit a button and soften the ride as if you'd bought a Luxury/Modern/No-line car. Similarly, if you get a Luxury line for the sake of your wife but want to morph it into a tighter ride when she's not around you can hit a button and firm up the ride as if you'd bought a Sport line car.
I think you are potentially getting a lot more than just that with this option. The video for which you provided a link finally confirms to me that the system is indeed set up the way I was hoping it was and that it takes full advantage of all sensor inputs and adapts (within the limits of CPU processing speed and damper response speed to inputs). So what you are getting is damping being adjusted in real time to the car's dynamics. For example, and I am just guessing here, stiffening up of the outer dampers in a turn, stiffening up of the front dampers under braking, etc. The soft and tight setting is almost just icing on the cake.

But what I would love to see is a direct comparison to the passive sport suspension. Does the adaptive suspension have some idiosyncrasies that would make the passive sport suspension preferable for certain types of driving? Or is it always better?