View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosopo View Post
The biggest problem I have with "pretty much every newer car nowadays" is that they all understeer like crazy. If they have any amount of power (which they probably don't), they torque steer like crazy because it's likely FWD. Then you have the automatic transmission which is programmed for fuel economy. At least in my BMW I can choose a drivable automatic mode. The car has enough power to climb hills at highway speeds without hunting for gears. When I apply the brakes a bit going down a hill, it often downshifts to help slow the vehicle. I can get from 55mph to criminal speed in no time for passing, and the car is so solid and quiet that I don't even realize how fast I'm going.

Many of the features on a BMW also have refinements that make them a bit better than the typical offerings. That knob in the dash to direct the climate control for warmer or cooler air allows me to keep my upper body much more comfortable (it's much better than constantly fiddling with the primary temperature setting.) The climate control is typically powerful enough to keep me comfortable usually without blasting the air directly at me. The cruise control is not stupid and flooring the car at any small change. The gas cap holder actually works (this seems to be a difficult feature for some reason, though Ford has the best idea of getting rid of it completely.) There are a couple of small, removable, easy to clean grilles under the hood that capture leaves instead of letting them clog up the drains. I can turn on the parking lights only on the side of the car that is exposed to the road. It holds the brake for a couple of seconds on a hill so I can accelerate normally.

The bottom line is that the car has lots of little things that people don't really consider when purchasing a vehicle, but once you have a car with them you hate to lose them. It also has some things that are clearly over-engineered and totally unnecessary (runflat tires, electronic dipstick, windshield washer fluid level monitor), but I guess that's hard to avoid with German cars.
very well put here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App