View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I think you are potentially getting a lot more than just that with this option. The video for which you provided a link finally confirms to me that the system is indeed set up the way I was hoping it was and that it takes full advantage of all sensor inputs and adapts (within the limits of CPU processing speed and damper response speed to inputs). So what you are getting is damping being adjusted in real time to the car's dynamics. For example, and I am just guessing here, stiffening up of the outer dampers in a turn, stiffening up of the front dampers under braking, etc. The soft and tight setting is almost just icing on the cake.

But what I would love to see is a direct comparison to the passive sport suspension. Does the adaptive suspension have some idiosyncrasies that would make the passive sport suspension preferable for certain types of driving? Or is it always better?
I've commented in other threads of this nature what I felt the limits of the Adaptive M suspension are and I've refrained from commenting on any other threads anymore due to the backlash, but this legitimate great question requires a good answer.

When you test drive the DHP with variable steering + the adaptive M suspension (both part of the DHP), drive them 3 ways- daily driving optimally, track HPDE and normal daily driving.

1) Daily driving optimal= include driving technique combinations with partial throttle, partial braking, partial engine braking, mid-high RPM, late/trail braking, fast steering input simulating quick switch lane changes. Non-linear weight shifting required in heavy or mild traffic to sustain momentum or stop quickly with brakes + engine braking.
2) Track HPDE= include driving technique combinations with hard full throttle, hard full braking, high RPM, smooth & minimal steering input. Linear weight shifting to the extremes- keeps the chassis in the most optimal of driving conditions.
3) Normal daily driving= low-mid RPMs, smooth/progressive throttle & braking, short shifting to conserve gas and smooth out the RPMs. The least intrusive of all the driving styles, allowing the chassis and suspension the most time to settle.

Form your own opinion then report back here. Figure that when driving you have 3 main variables, the driver with his input on the car, the car's driving & handling dynamics to those inputs, plus the external driving environment variables- road, weather, other driver conditions.

IMHO, the DHP can be out driven beyond the 7/10ths limit and shows it's flaws most during scenario #1 above, due to the large combination of driving techniques thrown at it. It feels 1/2 second behind than where I would expect the suspension to settle and be neutral. You also feel the weight and length of the car during those driving sessions. On the non-DHP sport suspension, there was no adaptive algorithm that needed to catch up so it was a more linear response. Not up to par with what I normally like but that's what the BMW M performance suspension is for. The braking distance was also not good enough on both the 328i & 335i, better pads like the Porterfield R4S or M Sport versions can easily fix this, plus the BMW M performance brake upgrade for the 328i. Good luck on the test drive.

Last edited by av98; 12-09-2012 at 07:20 AM.