Thread: E46 vs 128i
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLab View Post
Glad I got the email on this thread because I just bought a 128i. Funny that earlier I was asking about the 135, concerned about the turbo, etc, and then a couple weeks later I found the 128 that I preferred. (And yes, IMO it is plenty fast in its own right. Coming from my old 328, I find the 37 added horses more than enough to get in trouble.)

The back seat is pretty small -- it seems smaller than that in the e46. I used to carry at least one person back there with little problem in my 328, but I doubt they'd want to ride in the back seat of this one for very long.

But most importantly, I'm a golf nut myself and yes, my large, almost staff-sized carry bag fits great in the trunk of the 1 series. I actually considered a couple of small, non-BMW cars this time and I was surprised that some of these little hatchbacks aren't even wide enough to hold a golf bag!
Thanks! I won't need to drive others around in the backseat except rarely, so I think that'll work. That's good news on the golf sticks.

I'm biased against turbos for me because I know how much they cost to replace, so I like the idea of a non turbo. My last two cars have been 4-cylinder Toyotas, so this will feel like a rocket

So far in my local search using cars.com, craigslist, and autotrader, the avg used 128i is ~ $20-$25k and the e46's are around $10-12K. Now it's time to test drive...

Last edited by PC in Ohio; 12-09-2012 at 05:38 AM.