Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - M Adaptive Suspension - How much of an impact?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 AM
sean10mm sean10mm is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
What I described is nowhere near a race car. It's actually a compromise which I have learned from using Koni adjustable dampers over the years; quickly responsive while being refined enough to smooth out all the bumps on the road to make you a better driver even above the 7/10ths driving limits. Do take into account that the suspension is only 1 component to this whole package refinement. You have to factor in chassis stiffness & design, bushings, tires, springs, brakes, etc...

Plus scenario #1 is what highly aggressive traffic drivers follow if they prefer to drive using all the allowable characteristics that their car provide.

Having driven or experienced (as a kid) all different types of my fair share of suspension combinations makes a difference to feel the differences; highly recommended to try them all, definitely helps with suspension tuning- dedicated race coil overs (Moton, Cusco, Toda, Ohlins, Bilstein), mid-level adj shocks/struts/coil overs (Koni yellows [my favorite benchmark for the middle ground], KYB AGX, Monroe Air, Bilstein PSS, KW V series, HKS, TRD), non-adj upgrade shocks/struts (Koni FSD,
KYB GR2, Bilstein HD & Sport), stock non EDC OEM shocks/struts (Sachs, Bilstein, Koni, TRD, Mugen, all the major car manufacturer brands), EDC shocks/struts (Nissan & Toyota [some of the first implementations of fully active EDC], Mercedes ABC, BMW DHP, GM MagnaRide).
Your post kind of proves my point. Everything you've written in this post is esoteric trivia that 99% of BMW owners don't have a reason to care about. And the other 1% aren't going to use ANY factory suspension anyway.

We get it, you're a track day superstar, nobody cares.
Reply With Quote