View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
Glad you're OK. An accident can be unsettling to say the least.
My suggestion is to see how well the car is repaired and then decide to keep it or flip it.
I had a major accident in my retired E60 in 2010 and kept it for 1.5 yrs before I traded it this year for my F10. I was extremely pleased with the repairs and never had a single issue with the way it performed. Another reason I kept it was to minimize the pocket hit. I estimate I lost 13% of the value at trade-in. If you trade immediately 13% of a larger value would be a huge hit versus 13% of a future value wouldn't hurt as much. Either way it sux but not every place has diminished value laws. Its one reason why I pay an extra $85 in insurance for full replacement car coverage for the first two years of ownership.
GL with the repairs. Mine involved the entire drivers side, rear suspension and both bumpers with a cost of $14,000.
True, it might also be wiser just to keep it since the value will drop dramatically over years and miles. I know the body shop owner very well and I know they do quality work so I'll most likely be happy with the end result.