View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
There isn't "ample data" - just reports on chat boards.

Anecdotally, I recently brought my car in for my 7,500 mile change. My most excellent service advisor said "I'd love to take your money, but it is really not necessary." The dealer is not shy about recommending service, he just didn't think early oil changes accomplish much.

I did go ahead and have it changed, but the point is that a lot of folk who know more about BMWs than you or I ever will do not agree with the frequent change intervals.
Kilgore, there have been mutiple people post their UOA's done by reputable labs such as Blackstone to validate what we are saying. The person's posting also tend to describe the type of driving they do so we can make a pretty valid comparison to how our own oil may test.

That's a whole lot more than just reports on chat boards, unless you think the UOA's are faked or labs such as Blackstone are for some reason falsifying thier reports.

DXM's points are very valid. TBN down to 0, sulfuric and nitric acid in the crankcase, won't take long for your engine to be a sludge factory.