View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Public roads vary widely as to surface condition which is what makes adaptive suspension attractive for street driving. A passive performance suspension, like the sport suspension on the E9x, will perform very well on relatively smooth surfaces such as a race track or on a smooth road. The problem is that in the real world you are going to run into less than ideal conditions and that is where a passive sport suspension will show limitations. On bumpy surfaces it will have trouble keeping the tires in contact with the road surface. Once the bumps have upset the balance of the car the passive suspension is no longer a good handling suspension so while I accept that in some cases the passive sport suspension will outhandle the adaptive suspenion IMO unless you have the luxury (which I don't) of driving exclusively on pristine surfaces the adapative suspension will be a better choice.

I have not driven an F30 in any form but I have a 335i (E93) with sport suspension (on which I have replaced the RFTs and installed Koni FSDs) and a 750Li. The 7 has an adjustable suspension and it is very effective and the diffenence between sport and comfort in very obvious. Of course the 7 is a high performance luxury car as opposed to a luxurious high performance car. When I put the 7 into Sport Plus the suspension tightens up, the car shifts more agressively and I swear to God it gets 500 pounds lighter and 18" shorter. In sport plus it is hard to believe you are driving a car that is as big and as heavy as it actually is.

I have driven Jaguar XKR-S and Cadillac CTS-V and my impression is that as good as the adjustable suspenion in the 7 is BMWs technology is not as good as Jaguars or Cadillacs. The Jag suspension is very good and the Cadillac magnetic shocks are in a class by themselves.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-09-2012 at 07:49 PM.