View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Thank you DSX. So this is one of those rare (to me) occasions where going aftermarket is better, eh. I'll have to double check sizes, but I saw these 19" and 24" blades being sold individually at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-19OE-ICO...1&s=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-24OE-ICO...1&s=automotive
Did you verify that those will attach properly to the arms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
This goes a long way to explaining the issue. Thanks. I also noticed while perusing the topic in my Bentley Manual, they list improper alignment (twisting) as a primary reason for chatter. Maybe they had a rookie-new hire put the blades on. Is it really that easy to not align them properly?

In the meantime am doing my homework re: Bosch Icons.

Can you verify the size of the right side blade? The blade currently on the car is 17.25" long. Isn't the right side blade suposed to be 19"? I have no confidence at this point that it's in fact the correct blade for the car.

The left side is a 24" blade which seems to match what I've determined in my reading and research.

Thanks!
You are correct, the blades are 24 and 19. I understand what Bentley means by "twisting". Used to do it all the time. What they are referring to is making sure that the blade contacts the glass at a 90 degree angle. As things wear (all the swivel points) the blade can shift over, say to 85 degrees. Now when a new (grabby) blade is installed into the original metal armature the rubber will chatter over the glass in one direction and not the other. Bend the armature and when it's at 90 the chatter goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Icons are wonderful but tend to streek after about a year. The Evolution I've found to be much better.
Hot, you cheapie! I change blades every year regardless, and most of the time when I do have a reason it is because of streaking, what the heck, they're a year old. And btw, if you can find out for sure just what is the difference between the Evolutions and the Icons, let me know.
I demand a perfect view out my windshield and streaks of any kind annoy me as much as noisy blades.
(As you can tell, some things annoy me. I once had a Nissan 300Z with the 'talking' warning system. I was leaving NJ for NH when suddenly I get a Ding! followed by "The driver's door is ajar!" The door switch wiring had broken. I listened to that every ten seconds all the way home. You have no idea how close to the edge that put me.)

Last edited by DSXMachina; 12-10-2012 at 09:46 AM.