Thread: clutch
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrad View Post
Hi all, I am having a problem engaging first gear. on my e90 320d 2006. It takes a bit of effort to get it in, but if i put it into second and push it into first it goes straight it. any ideas what the cause would be or anyone had similar problems.
I switched from BMW MTF-LT3 to Redline MTL about 80,000 miles ago and mine has exhibited "balky" cold shifting into 1st ever since. But Redline MTL is thicker so it was expected and I'm just gentle with it until it gets warmed up. For me a 5-6 shift seems to line everything up so it will go smoothly into 1st when cold. So to me is sounds like you need an oil change. If it were hydraulic I would think you would have engagement problems in every gear.

I went with the thicker MTL because I live in the SE USA where summer temps are brutal and I wanted a thicker oil in my tranny. With the OE oil I used to get very pronounced gear rattle at idle in neutral with the clutch out. With the MTL it's almost imperceptible even on the hottest days. My tranny oil changes show just a couple of gold specs of synchro material and virtually no steel so I'm very pleased with the results of the Redline MTL.