View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:41 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I recently got a set of these Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Their website states these as 'Directional' tires. However, the only sign on the tire in regard to this is 'Outside' indicating which side should be facing outside.

If you look at the picture above, you can see the outside shoulder has a different thread pattern; however, the cuts are angular. So if I switch rear wheels (as an example), tires still be facing correctly to outside, but the thread will be rotating opposite. This doesn't seem right to me. Any input?
I'm not sure where you found the information that these are directional tires on the Michelin website. I looked and their website has very little information about the tire. It doesn't mention whether they are directional or asymmetrical although they are clearly asymmetrical. I have these tires on my Z4 M and they do have "Outside" molded on the tire, an indication of asymmetrical tires.

This information is from the Tire Rack website and clearly states that they are asymmetrical and makes no mention of their being directional:
The Pilot Super Sport features an asymmetric design molded of Michelinís Bi-Compound tread rubber featuring a Le Mans-inspired dry compound outboard side-by-side with their latest generation of wet compound inboard. The low-void outboard shoulder features a track-type compound to withstand the stresses of high performance cornering while the notched center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a compound designed for superior performance at very high speeds and in wet conditions.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!