View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post
So after countless hours of research and test drives, I have made up my mind on buying one of the following 2013 vehicles:

Bmw X3 35i
Mercedes GLK
Range Rover Evoque

All vehicles have everything I want. They all are great vehicles. I would be happy with either of them.

My BIG question is RELIABILITY. I will be keeping this vehicle 8-10 years. I would prefer not to purchase an extended warranty because i dont feel they are good value. So for all three vehicles, after 4 years I would be off warranty.

In your opinion, which vehicle do you think would be the most reliable? I have heard some horrid stories about Range Rover, but also seem to constantly read problems here for the x3s. I really don't want to spend $50-$60k and not have a long term reliable vehicle. I currently drive an Acura, so I am used to bulletproof build quality. I am just very scared that my three choices for my next SUV might be terrible for long term reliability. Thank you for your time.

Nick
I've owned 3 X3s... and just bought my 4th for delivery before months end.

2005 X3, lease, perfectly reliable for me over 3 years, only scheduled maintenance.
2006 X3 CPO'd, bought at end of 2005 lease, owned for 2.5 years, horrible.. spent a ton of time in the shop, got rid of it a little before I'd need to for CPO expiration. Sunroof leaks, you name it. A/C problems... 1 week in the shop for loss of power steering @ 60k miles

2011 X3 (new style, F25): had for 2 years now, just about, no issue at all. Perfect, liked it so much, we're exiting the lease early to buy one knowing the specs we want now.

That said, the new engine, N20, hasn't been out long enough to really know what's what. BMW does tend to over-engineer, so you've got that going for you.

I also had a 2003 325i. That was a great car for 5 years 100k miles (I drive a lot).

in general, I've had, on average, good experiences with BMWs... but I've yet to own one over 110k miles - hoping to keep the 2013 X3 for that, but will depend on when my Cooper Clubman S gives up the ghost.