View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post

I recently got a set of these Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Their website states these as 'Directional' tires. However, the only sign on the tire in regard to this is 'Outside' indicating which side should be facing outside.

If you look at the picture above, you can see the outside shoulder has a different thread pattern; however, the cuts are angular. So if I switch rear wheels (as an example), tires still be facing correctly to outside, but the thread will be rotating opposite. This doesn't seem right to me. Any input?
If you take note of most new tire offerings in the past 10 years or so, most are "asymmetrical" rather than "unidirectional." So-called "directional" tires have lost favor with tire manufacturers in recent years due to their propensity to develop horrible "pattern noise." They had no rotation options whatsoever (although, in fact they COULD be run in the "opposite" direction without harm)...the world would NOT end.

The current "vogue" is certainly "asymmetrical" tires and everyone is piling on to this trend. As noted, the sidewall indicates: "this side out." They do offer another rotation option (unless you have a staggered fitment). If you're lucky, you have the same size all around.

The "benefit" of asymmetrical" tires is the handling aspect as the outside shoulder will have a lower "void ratio" thus accommodating higher grip in dry cornering. This harks back to the famous Michelin ASX tire of many decades ago, perhaps the first asymmetrical tire and "OEM" on many famous European cars.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA