View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMSJ3 View Post
I haven't use snow chains before & will be driving soon to some locations where snow chains may become mandatory. I have16" wheels with regular Bridgestone Turanzas' RFTs on my 2009 E90 . Would appreciate your recommendation on where I could get the appropriate snow chains & if there are concerns/ issues to be kept in mind.
You actually want to buy cables, not chains. They should fit fine on 16" wheels. You need to practice putting them on to ensure you will be able to get them tight enough not to rub on the wheel wells.

I would strongly advise NOT to get any "fabric" or "Spyder" thingys: in most cases they are not classified as Snow Chains and therefore not legal to use when the Chain Sign is up (in WA, OR CA at least.)

Tirerack probably sells them; discount tire, Les Schwab, Big O, etc. Pep Boys, Kelley's and other auto part stores. Some of them will allow you to return them after the season if not used. Buy a blanket (or tarp), cloth/rubberized gloves and anything else you think you need to put them on in the snow. A shovel is quite useful, too.