View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Crapparatus Bendgineer

Mein Auto: E46 M3Cic6MT, E39 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaRay View Post
Ay my boosted brothers Im thinking of installing Superspint headers. Now im running the stock Vf engineering tune but with these supersprints installed will i need a custom tune for maximum performance out of these headers or would they perform the same with the Vf tune? Allso would they be a problem with the Vf tune ? or can i just bolt them on and im good to go ?
I can't speak to E39 - VF exactly but I can speak to the same exact question for a number of forced induction cars, and the answer is usually:
- yes to get the most from them you would need a custom tune or an upgraded off-shelf tune from VF
- yes you prob would get some small gains on the base VF setup, prob not as much big dyno peak number gains as "area under curve" type and mostly noticeable in part throttle and mid-RPM roll-on benefits (this is because most tunes are optimized for WOT & redline but have room to trim and adapt and add fuel in mid-RPM areas)
- no probably would not cause a problem either, just be less gain than if you get the tune upgraded
- don't know about VF but most kit / tune mfrs for any given platform have a pre-configured tune for upgraded exhaust plumbing.. aka "Stage 1 = OEM exhaust, Stage 2 = headers & exhaust"

It's too bad putting headers on these cars is such a hassle... esp given the OEM header leaves something to be desired... I kinda lust for the upgrade but have decided I wouldn't do it myself and I don't lust for the bill that would come with the install...
2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (hers)
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Some Stuff FS