View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
2013 Nav Maps Update

I ordered the 2013 maps for NA on a USB drive, and the FSC key from a guy in Europe, and a few days ago updated the maps in my vehicle. Very simple, much less than what the dealer charges. The map data cost me about $50 with shipping, and the FSC cost me 50-euros.

The procedure is simple - turn the car on, insert the USB memory stick in the glove box USB port, wait for the message to pop up that the maps on the USB are newer than that in the car, say yes to update, enter the FSC code (remember to enter the 'OK' at the end), and it starts. You can stop, get out do other things, and when you restart the car, it will continue where it left off (it's momentarily disconcerting as it starts at 0%, but quickly jumps to where it left off). At the end, it says it finished and tells you to reboot. Click ok and in a short bit, it's done. Note that if you check the status right then, it won't show the new maps installed but will if you shut the car off, let it sit for awhile, then start it back up again.

Anyway, much cheaper than what the dealer charges. You can probably find the map data cheaper, but then you won't have a 32G USB stick you can use for something else. If you got it on DVD's, you have to enter them one by one, and if you shut the car off, have to reinsert disk one, then the one it asks once it gets the disk structure off of the first disk to know where it is.

I haven't noticed any big differences, but may not in the area where I live. Note, this does NOT update the nav firmware, so internal operation remains exactly like it was, this only updates the data files (maps and POI's), some 75,000 miles and 7 million POI's.
Advertisement