Thread: Tow Hitch
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
I'd shop around at all the BMW dealers in you area because $1,800 seems really high. I paid $1,100 for my hitch and installation at my local dealer. There is a lot more to the BMW hitch than the hitch itself. There is a bunch of reprogramming done to the vehicle. It will automatically disable the rear backup sensors when you connect a trailer, it add's a zoom on hitch function to the backup camera (which makes backing and hooking up the trailer super easy), and it alters the stability control behavior to accommodate for towing when you connect a trailer (which is a safety issue). Plus it is a hidden design so you don't really see the hitch when you aren't using it.
I agree, I had mine installed by BMW for <$1,000. A bunch of plastic has to be removed to install the hitch. I didn't trust U-Haul to do it. I couldn't find a plug in wiring harness so again, I wanted to leave this to BMW so that the warranty wasn't jeopardized. The receiver removes when you are not using the hitch so the visual impact of the hitch is minimal, the best I've seen on any competing vehicle. As stated above, the sensors and backup camera is reprogramed. To me, having BMW do it for $1,000 was worth the peace of mind. A hard pill to swallow when I installed my own class III hitch on my Ford truck for <$200.