Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I don't have active steering. My perception:

The steering ratio = same
The steering effort = same (at speed)
The steering effort = halved (at no speed)

When I drive on roadways and highways, the steering feels the same to me. When at a dead stop making a 3-point turn in a tight driveway, the new steering requires half as much force, no longer getting a P90X workout just getting out of the garage.

From a feel standpoint, I don't feel the undulations of the pavement in my palms, I don't feel the vibration of the tires on the road, but a turn left or a turn right feels more responsive because the car feels faster and lighter.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Also, for the OP, my perspective is from the least 'sporty' configuration. I have a Luxury line with the standard comfort suspension. Those with Sport lines and sport suspensions will tell you that the F30 feels the same or better than the E90, based on reading past threads.

My advice to you: Get to a dealer, arrange for a test drive. Make sure you hit the "Sport" button. If after 1000 feet of driving you don't have a smile on your face, stick with the E90.

BJ
I haven't driven an F30 yet so I really don't have a valid opinion between the two. As for what I read here and elsewhere I take all of that with a grain of salt based on my experience with the RFTs and OEM shocks on the E90. I do know that I preferred the way the sport suspension on the E93 felt compared to the stock suspension after I test drove both but I was totally unprepared for the "Pothole Explosions" (although I was able to solve that issue).
I have seen that a number of automotive jounalists whose opinion I respect feel that the F30 improved on the E90 in many ways but that the E90 had better "feel" than the F30. In a sense that is a moot point since the E90 is no longer available. What would make more sense is to compare the F30 to competitors that are currently available and in that respect it seems to be holding its own. After my experiences with the 335i and the 750 I will never buy a New York car that does not have an adjustable suspension.

I willl not be buying an F30 (I am sure it is an excellent car but I have no use for a small sedan) but will look at the 4 Series Cabrio when it was released. I will also look at a number of other cars and an particularly interested in the new Jaguar F-Type.

I really don't understand the complaints about the heavy steering in the E9x. I honestly never noticed it and I drive a wide variety of cars every year,

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians