View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Spend some time running around town yesterday picking up flange head metric bolts for the T56-motor connection. Fastenal and a local specialty contractors supply store did not stock them, but Sears Hardware did, go figure.

Mated up the motor just for fun. I'm going to mock up the mounts once I settle on an oil pan (still need to think about that one) and while I'm taking care of the harness and wiring, I'll have it sent out to have Jason @ TDP look over it. Super nice guy, by the way.

Laid the heads down on it just for mockup. The next step is to buy all the gaskets for reassembly, the motor is ready to be put back together.

I put it in the bay just for sh*ts and giggles. For some reason at the time (maybe it was the fact that I was tired from work all day, or had a few too many beers) I was convinced that the shifter was supposed to line up exactly with the hole. I didn't have an oil pan mounted at the time, but if I did, it would not have agreed with that idea. I'll get into the garage tonight and play with it some more.

Measuring driveline angles will be crappy, because the nose of the car only is on jackstands. The car is too low when it sits normally, the engine hoist legs hit the lower control arms when plopping the engine in. May just have to take the angle of the car and then subtract it from my measurements.

2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport, under the knife

Last edited by nsogiba; 12-18-2012 at 07:13 AM.