View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well that answers the question about the Cayenne S diesel -- but what about the diesel we get here? What drivetrain does that one have -- is it the same as the T-egg and Q7 diesel? I got the impression that the diesel drivetrain was more robust (and also heavier) than the "new" quattro-like system used in the gasser Cayennes. The diesel 4WD system still had the locker and low range used in previous year's (prior to '11) and hence was more off road capable. Ideal for getting wayward scribes out of creekbeds and tundra in Alaska as I recall.
As I understand it the base diesel uses a Torsen diff system while the gassers uses an electronic system with clutches to distribute torque. Torsen is a good AWD system but it does not give the same RWD bias and feel under good grip conditions, it's heavier and often results in a less optimal weight distribution and lacks some features to automatically lock the differentials. VW and Audi also uses a similar electronic system ( Haldex ) in many cars but this acts as an FWD when grip is good. I think the T-egg and Q's uses the same type of Torsen system as the the base diesel. All has dumped the low range transfer case. The diesels manual lock is for the center diff, something that as i understand it the gassers system handles automatically.

Last edited by solstice; 12-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.