View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
I installed my Execuhitch on my X1 this past Sunday. There was very little trimming necessary on my M-Sport. It was apparent that they were fitting a hitch to a "non-M Sport" when compiling the instructions; which may require much more trimming. The small piece I cut away was about 5/8" deep and less than 4" wide. Very easy to do.
The OEM bumper is not aluminum...it's steel. The main difference I noticed is that the OEM bumper extended about 6" farther to the left and right and, of course, the added weight of the hitch hardware makes the execuhitch much heavier. Unfortunately, not heavy enough to lower the back end and take up some of that wheel gap.
The unit is VERY well made and inspires confidence. I re-used my trim rivets as the ones provided are black and would have looked bad on my mineral white wheel arch trim. There are a few other tips that I'm willing to share if anyone is interested.
BTW, I also bought and installed the OEM BMW cross bars. They are really high-quality and the install is just too damn easy.
Thank you! This type of feedback is exactly what we need. I have a few comments and then some questions.

Comments:
1) I do agree that the instructions for Execuhitch, along with the instructions for Curt, appear to have been written for non-M-Sport models. This is not a huge deal, though, but small things like rivet colors (non-M-Sport models have black fender trim, while M-Sport models are color matched) might be off because of this.

2) The small amount of trimming is a relief, and should be no different between M-Sport and non-M-Sport models.

3) The OEM crush bumper from BMW is definitely not made of steel. The Execuhitch replacement is made of steel.

Questions:
1) In your opinion, how does Execuhitch feel in terms of stability and strength? Do you agree with it's Class 3 rating? I am specifically concerned about putting 100-200 lbs of load on the tongue on the hitch as a non-trailer weight load. Curt requires stabilizing straps for these types of loads, and I wonder what sort of affect it would have on Execuhitch.

2) Does the change in size between OEM bumper support and replacement cause any issues with the exterior body pieces fitting onto the car (such as bulging at places or possibilities for unevenness from wear over time)?

3) In regards to your BMW crossbars, you say the install was very simple. I looked at the install instructions on the Thule versions and noticed that the mounting feet for the cross bars require torquing of two bolts per mounting foot via allen key for a total of 8 bolts. Is the BMW crossbar the same?

Lastly, please share any tips you have for these installs! I am sure they will come in handy for someone eventually. Also, please post some detailed pictures of your car with everything installed. I would love to see it.