View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceyted View Post

3) The OEM crush bumper from BMW is definitely not made of steel. The Execuhitch replacement is made of steel.
It appears to be steel because a magnet jumps on it...so there's something ferrous in the "alloy". And it's not so light either.

Questions:
1) In your opinion, how does Execuhitch feel in terms of stability and strength? Do you agree with it's Class 3 rating? I am specifically concerned about putting 100-200 lbs of load on the tongue on the hitch as a non-trailer weight load. Curt requires stabilizing straps for these types of loads, and I wonder what sort of affect it would have on Execuhitch.
All I can say is that without question, it will hold my 4 bike Thule carrier and it will pull my 4-Kayak trailer. Class ABC or Z...as long as it does what I want it to IDGAS about anything else. This, and I really have no way to test whether it's 1 class or another. I can't imagine they would put into print that it's something that it isn't...liability considerations and all.

Quote:
2) Does the change in size between OEM bumper support and replacement cause any issues with the exterior body pieces fitting onto the car (such as bulging at places or possibilities for unevenness from wear over time)?
You can't tell that there's a hitch behind the cover and since the missing protrusions were not supporting anything I doubt there would ever be any problem. There are two screws that aren't re-used and they held the lower center of the bumper cover to the original bumper. Even though they aren't used the cover is ridgid enough to keep it's shape without. Again, I can't imagime a long or short term ploblem here. This hitch is well made and by no means cheap...and have NO regrets in buying it.

Quote:
3) In regards to your BMW crossbars, you say the install was very simple. I looked at the install instructions on the Thule versions and noticed that the mounting feet for the cross bars require torquing of two bolts per mounting foot via allen key for a total of 8 bolts. Is the BMW crossbar the same?
Install requires turning of a spring loaded flip down handle. Once the bar is in place simply lift the cover and pull down the locking handle. Turn the locking handle until the locking hex bolt no longer turns(at this point the locking handle will turn but the spring tensioned hex bolt will not). This means it's time to push the lock handle back into place...flip it up). Pull down the trim cover and lock with supplied key. The key turns HARD. I'm hoping after a few cycles it will loosen up a bit.

Tips and pics later when I get a chance

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
2015 Rally Red Civic Si Coupe...STOCK!
2013 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, FM Supercharged, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01