View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
I had the first opportunity yesterday to spend some time behind the wheel. It was a 200 mile trip from Long Island to the swamps of Jersey and back. I wanted to provide some initial feedback
. Putting things in perspective, I have driven a 330cic, two 5 series- one Xdrive, the other sports package with a manual 6 speed, an X5, and a E46 Wagon which I drive now. The X1 is being driven by my better half, but I'll grab it when I can.
I've broken down my comments into sections below:

FIT and FINISH
The car looks great inside and out, It looks and feels like a BMW should- no complaints here. The slight tinting of the windows seemed to finish off the car nicely. I'm glad I did it.

POWERTRAIN
The 4 cylinder engine coupled with the 8 speed tranny really fits this car nicely. I found it to be quick, with very little (if any) turbo lag and the car accelerates nicely. Much more fun to drive then my recent 5 series. Impressive.

STEERING
As soon as I got in to this car and grabbed the wheel I knew I was going to like it. The steering has a nice weight to it, with tons of feedback. This is the kind of thing that gets you hooked on these cars. It just feels right when you are driving it. I recently had an X3 loaner, and I could steer it with one finger- not this car. I would say most people on this forum prefer this setup than the electronic assisted steering found on some other models. The engine and the steering together make this a fun car to drive

ROAD and WIND NOISE
I found this car to be quiet on new asphalt, but when the highways got a little rough, I did hear road / tire noise more so than other cars I've been in recently. I did expect this coming out of a 5 series and for the type of driving we do its no big deal. I could still hold a conversation on the Bluetooth so that was ok. Maybe its due in part to the runflats? Not sure. I would give this an average rating.

SEAT COMFORT
I did notice a down grade here, and if I were to order the car for myself I would get the Sport Line for the Sport seats. I think the first poster in this thread also mentions the seats. While they are not terrible, there is little support in the thigh area. I'll need to do some adjusting to get more comfortable. I give the seats a below average rating. IMO every BMW seat should be outstanding.

STEREO
We ordered the upgraded sound system. I'm glad I ordered it. It sounded pretty good, and better than the standard system. No complaints here other than I don't think I can hide my iPod in the glove compartment like I could in the 5.

Would I order the X1 again? In a heartbeat. But this time I would get the heated steering wheel too.
Enjoy
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member

Last edited by mismaloya; 12-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.