View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankg11 View Post
So we have heard about all the stuff you can't put on your car without BMW voiding the warranty, CPO, extended warranty, etc.

So what can you put on your car that won't void the original 4yr/50K service warranty?

Also, I have a 2012 335is with 313's in 19". So does BMW have a performance brake upgrade for this care and will it void my warranty? I know they have Performance brakes for something close.

Thank you for any answers in advance.
Typically, mods don't void a warranty. What they DO is allow the dealer to decline servicing where your mod MAY HAVE caused problems.

For example, a dealer can't refuse to service your turbocharger just because you got a brake mod. But they CAN refuse if you got an engine tune. Contract law varies, but that's the general guideline.

I think the burden of proof is on the dealer to show cause, but if they deny service that means you need to go to court. Generally, it's cheaper to for you to pay the repair costs, and dealers know this, so they will often go looking for an excuse.

Overall, mods are doable but carry extra risk. You may be in for a fight if the modded system, or anything tied to it, fails. Some dealers are cool with mods, some are not.