Thread: Engine/Car Life
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
The OP asked about "engine/car life". So I guess the thought is that once iDrive walks off the job, the car's life is over. I think that makes sense.
iDrive is an infotainment platform. It is not essential to any critical operational functions of the car. There are aftermarket replacements for virtually every major function (CD/USB, satellite radio/navigation, hands-free telephony, etc.), though of course none are as well-integrated. All in all, only a few convenience features would be forever lost if the display, controller or electronics took a permanent holiday.

Cars are collections of electromechanical systems that can be serviced, refurbished and/or replaced almost indefinitely, until parts are no longer available, can no longer be fabricated and/or the body structure collapses around them--and when it does, you can usually rebuild that, too. The only practical measure of a car's lifetime is the amount of money you are willing to pour into it. When the cost of a given repair exceeds the car's value to you, the car's life is over.

My E46 had 214,000 miles on the clock and was in fantastic condition when I sold it. However, by then it had had several four-figure repair bills, any of which might have led a more frugal or practical owner to decide it had reached the end.

In the truest sense, "your mileage may vary."

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 12-20-2012 at 05:47 AM.