Thread: Engine/Car Life
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmb View Post
I love my new too me 2010 328i.. I purchased it with 35k miles and was wondering typically hpw many miles this car/engine is expected to last. I'm a somewhat sporty driver but never hard on the car. I plane on having all sched maintenance done but really curious how many miles these awesome cars last before having trouble...150K..200K ? Any tips on prolonging the shelf life? Thanks in advance for any info.
If.....IF....you are looking at a high mileage future, shoulda bought a diesel.

Gasoline motors are delightfully responsive and immediate, but a diesel will outlast you and I. 335d owners are advised to seek legal consul at purchase close, re: designation of heir.

What milage, trouble free? Low. A potpourri of issues lie in wait for the hapless 328i....from VANOS solenoid cleaning to a software codes, engine problems can and do occur in the warranty period and beyond. 300k is a mighty push for the N52, and may involve significant maintenance expense.

OTOH, a diesel is >just< broken in at 100k, and will easily pass 300k feeling like new and hardly breathing hard. My own diesel is nearly at 450k mi and going strong - expect at least 500k before an overhaul is needed, often much more.

Fuel economy & engine torque. Meditate on those a bit.