View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeton View Post
On a Z4 you _don't_ need to know what it's about because our vehicles do NOT require registration. A quick Google search turned up the following:

The following late-model vehicles require battery registration:

2002 and newer 7-Series E65/E66 chassis
2003 and newer 6-Series E54/E63 chassis
2004 and newer 5-Series E60/E61 chassis
2006 and newer 3-Series E90/E91/E92/E93 chassis
2007 and newer X5 E70 chassis
2008 and newer X6 E71 chassis

As you can see, the E85/86 is not on the list. If a mechanic/dealership is charging (no pun intended) Z4 owners for "registration" then they are ripping them off.
Battery voltage and current is monitored by the PCM and the alternator is cycled on and off to control the amount of charge it is returning to the electrical system. Some models will let you use the scan tool to change the amp hour rating as well as when the battery was replaced to help it in its calculations. I can verify from personal experience that on my 03 Z4 3.0i using a Launch x431, you can register a battery replacement in the PCM. There was no option to make changes to the battery capacity. Is this a necessary procedure, probably not. We have replaced batteries without registration for years with no issues. Will the factory scan tool let you make changes to the battery capacity on the Z4, I do not know.