Thread: Engine/Car Life
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
My convertible hard top will be operating smoothly when the Egyptian Pyramids have crumbled to dust!

A tribute to German engineering.
Failure of the hydraulic pump on E85 (rag top) Z4s (2002-2008) is a known problem and the Z4 forums have many accounts of hydraulic pump failure. Many owners have the pump rebuilt because it is too expensive to replace (the entire convertible top has to be removed first). Just a guess, but I'll bet that your hardtop E93 uses a similar system, as do probably all other BMW 'verts made in the last 10 years, possibly longer. On top of that, your hard top weighs a lot more than a fabric top, requiring even more hydraulic pressure to operate. If I recall, there have been several reports here on Bimmerfest that the various cords that BMW uses can fray and require replacement.

In other words, don't count on it!

My 2000 S2000 used electric motors (and no cords) and never failed in the 13 years that I owned it. I've never heard of a S2000 top failing, although the fabric needed to be replaced after 10 years.

To the OP: As others have mentioned, if you perform regular suggested maintenance, you will probably get tired of the car before it reaches the end of its useful life.

People have suggested Googling Mike Miller's Old Time Maintenance Schedule, but here is what Mike puts at the top of each version:
Please do not post on the Internet. Two reasons:
1) This document is copyrighted.
2) It gets updated periodically.
In other words, you need to find his e-mail address (hint: he writes for the Roundel and for Bimmer Magazine) and e-mail him directly to get his latest version.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!