View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham132white View Post
3 series in the snow! Nooooooo thank you!

X5 diesel probably a good choice for what he's after. I'd probably steer well clear of the petrol models for numerous reasons at that age and mileage.
Uh... I have both an E46 3-series and an E53 X5. The E46 with full snow tires (all 4 wheels) and a couple of bags of sand in the boot is better in the snow than the X5 with all season tires. We average a couple of feet of snow a year and I wouldn't hesitate to take the E46 anywhere. ANYWHERE.

The diesel X5 variant wasn't available in the US until later in the model run and they're scarce in the US. Hell, the 3.0i petrol wasn't available until a year after the 4.4i was released.

I bought my 01 E53 3.0i new and it currently has 121k miles on it. As long as you find a well maintained X5 (with proof) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cooling systems need maintenance, front outer CV boots rip often, window regulators break, gaskets leak (search OFHG and VCG). Beyond that, it's been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'd look for a 3.0i as the 6cyl has fewer issues and the M54 is a gem of an engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.