View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgscott987 View Post
Dropping down to first on full-throttle allows for impressive 0-60 numbers as well.
How would the car know if you're about to race someone and need a good 0-60 time? It has no idea what you're about to do.

It can't be switching gears as you stomp on the throttle on take-off! BUT this is debatable, I suppose and I would like the 550 owners to chip in... as they claim there is a jerk when that happens and maybe this is the same jerk Needs and others are experiencing on their early builds 535 (mine is August '11)...

More than anything, this would be a safety issue. Imagine wanting to gun it on the left turn while you're in the middle of a busy intersection waiting for your turn (with oncoming traffic). The car has to be in the right gear rather than changing it while another car is slamming into you. So many problem with that concept, unless 1st gear is completely disabled in D on your models (which would still be insane as I said above, for different reasons, #1 being reduced performance and #2 safety as well (ie. slower takeoff when needed).