View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
to the OP, if you havent driven an N54 then find a used one and give it a good test drive. then drive an N55 and compare. Im not trying to sell you on the N54 being better, just that the excitement and visceral experience between the 2 has changed.

In my opinion, i just cant fall in love with the N55. I believe it is much more sophisticated and efficient than the N54 was, but for pure enjoyment, the twin turbo sppol up, engine growl and kick in the pants acceleration of the N54 is thrilling. Every N55 Ive driven (3er AT and manual, x3 sport auto, x5 and 5er) I just dont get the same feeling I got with the N54. It feels kind of dull to me on every platform. the power delivery is very smooth but it just didnt do it for me when comparing the 2 motors. In fact, when i went test driving for my m sport, I drove the 335 first then the 328 and I fell in love with the I4 right off the bat. With the 335, I was ready to get into another car to test drive.

Notwithstanding, the N55 is a phenomenal motor and the car is brilliant. You cant go wrong with either choice, but in the end, I would go with the m sport 328 as the looks alone will justify your purchase over a baseline, and all the extra options will only add to the experience. After driving my car for the last few months, ive realized that although BMW offers the lines and various options, for the optimal experience the car was designed to be driven with options. I constantly find myself thinking if I would like driving my car as much if i didnt have the extras, and my answer is always NO! cheers