View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I found that :

A-Real world, it's a decent gap in MPG. I took both cars and ran them on the same loop to compare, not 100% scientific but pretty close. I got 35.5 in the N55(8at) and 39 in the N20(6mt). I am pretty sure an N55 6mt might get a bit less than an 8at.
B-The power difference is not as large as advertised, both engines underrated, the 328 just more so. This has been shown on the dyno a handful of times.
Not personal experience, but using EPA numbers as a guide the N20 gets better mpg with the 6MT than with the 8AT and the N55 gets better mileage with the 8AT than with the 6MT. This makes intuitive sense to me, because historically the power of a four banger is better utilized by a manual transmission.

Since the vast, vast majority of N20 328i's are going to be fitted with the 8AT and the same for the N55 335i's it makes the real world mpg performance difference considerably less significant.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **