View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Another thing is that diesel can be found at every gas station. Not the case in the US (at least not where I live in New England). If the relative price of diesel and gasoline were similar to Europe, and could be purchased at every station, I would have no problem buying a diesel vehicle.
I do not think it is relative price that will drive this. Diesel over here is almost always more expensive but is still the preferred choice for many SUV buyers. The absolute price of a full tank of gas is the driver. When that starts to bite the wallet especially in a larger SUV then diesel options will be sought by buyers else they will walk to other manufacturers where the options exist. You just use much less fuel than petrol. That will drive manufacturers, that will drive pump availability. This is the evolution over here although driven faster by a considerably higher pump price for fuel in general. The side benefit is much better performance. Torque glorious torque.