View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3oiler View Post
I do not think it is relative price that will drive this. Diesel over here is almost always more expensive but is still the preferred choice for many SUV buyers. The absolute price of a full tank of gas is the driver. When that starts to bite the wallet especially in a larger SUV then diesel options will be sought by buyers else they will walk to other manufacturers where the options exist. You just use much less fuel than petrol. That will drive manufacturers, that will drive pump availability. This is the evolution over here although driven faster by a considerably higher pump price for fuel in general. The side benefit is much better performance. Torque glorious torque.
For me, it's mostly about availability. Secondary to that is the economics, but cost to fill the tank is not important to me, since tank sizes vary. It is more important that it be priced well relative to gas and MPG be significantly better such that it makes sense for me to switch. I guess I have my own criteria for what makes sense. Manufacturers will produce more when people show more of a willingness to switch. I only see that happening at a snail's pace right now.