View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 07:41 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
I suppose it really comes down to what you prioritize. If you value dollars, mileage, or perhaps lighter weight more highly than power and the smooth straight 6 (and a few other 335i specifics) then the 328i could be the better car "for you"...and vice-versa.

Reminds me a little bit of the whole 330i vs ZHP 330i vs M3 situation in the E46 realm and 528i vs 540i sport vs M5 discussions in the E39 world.
I owned an E93 328i and then an E90 328i for 6 consecutive years and I don't know what this "smooth" comment is about the 6 cylinder engine in those cars because the performance was anything but smooth.

I could care less what the power curve looks like on a computer. All I know is that when I stepped on the gas in those E9X cars it didn't move very fast, it shifted inconsistently and very abruptly, and there was nothing remarkable about it's performance. Conversely, when I step on the F30, the thing flies and the shifting is so smooth and effortless you barely even know it's taking place.

I agree completely on the E46 vs. E90 debates that now turn into the F30 vs. E90 debates. It's like a reviewer comes out with a couple of callouts and suddenly it becomes the smoking gun. Ah, the engine isn't as "smooth". Oh, the materials are "inferior". Enough with the jealous nitpicking already.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House