View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The VA(P)G diesels in the "big cars" (i.e. T-egg, Cayenne, Q-ships) are the same unit -- Porsche uses the same engine and drive train as the VW/Audi's at least for the moment in the base diesel -- a "Cayenne TDI S" is rumored to come in a few years. Most folks that I know want the oilers for fuel economy -- the torque is an added benefit! Anyone who has lived through the gas lines of the 70's (green flags, odd even days, 10 gal limits) knows that having the diesel cars -- which were exempt back then -- was a "good thing". The new 8 speed ZF transmission in the VA(P)G sav's pooches them up to around 30+ mpg on the highway -- a far cry from the old gassers that could be hard pressed to get 20! As an aside the new Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel will also have that ZF sourced transmission and a robust 240 hp/410 lbs of torque turbo V6 diesel in MY13 around spring as a '14. That engine is a VM Motori unit now used in the Jeep's overseas diesel offerings uprated for US use. The VM company is owned jointly by GM and Fiat. I would love to see that engine in one of the General's triplets too!