View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
New to forum/Z3/M54 VANOS seals & performance question

I just bought a 2001 3.0 Z3 and didn't know very much about the M54. I've had a '95 318ti for 11 years and loved the M42, and thought the M54, being much more modern would be a real step up.

However, now that I've started reading more about the engine I'm worried that it will need the CVV replacement and the VANOS seals. Before buying this car I drove another Z3 3.0 with more miles 141k and in worse overall condition, but it really seemed faster. I bought the better looking, lower mileage (93k) care, telling myself the performance difference might have been in my mind.

Now I'm thinking maybe the VANOS seals had been done on the 141k car and that's why is seemed faster. Does it make that much of a difference?

I love the car, but after what reliable beast my ti has been, it seems weird to have such a modern high tech engine, but at the same time have to worry about driving it in really cold weather (CVV issue). Anyway, to get back to my main question; can you really tell a difference in performance after the VANOS seals are done? and about how much does that cost. I'm a big DIYer but not sure if I want to tackle this.

Last edited by JackDuggan; 12-24-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: put Z3 in heading
Advertisement