View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
E90 steering column replacement --- possible to get goodwill?

Hello,

Couple of months ago an amber steering lock sign (steering with pad lock on upper left corner) started to appear on my dashboard. I did some research and found out that it has to do with electronic steering lock problem.

Since it was still an amber and not a red sign, plus I had know issues in starting the car, I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I took my car for a scheduled service to a reputed independent mechanic (since my car is out of warranty, I take my car to this mechanic only). Along with scheduled service I paid another $107 to get my steering checked. Mechanic told me that I am lucky that I haven't run into "Car not starting issue yet" and I should get my steering column replaced.

He is still in the process of getting quote for me but it's going to be around $775 (part + labor). Since car has low mileage on it, he asked me to talk to dealer about getting a goodwill.

Car details:
year: 2006
model: 325i
mileage: 49950

It's been out of warranty for past two years.

Questions:
1) I did bit of my own research and Electronic Steering lock failure seems to be a common problem in 2006 E90s. I don't think 50K is that big of a miles on this car to start showing such problems. Is it possible for me to get a goodwill for steering column replacement from BMW of NA?

I really appreciated all your guidance with this.

Thanks,
K2
Ads by Google