View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
If these numbers are correct, one has to wonder whether BMW is trying to ill the 335.

I wonder whether there is an internal struggle going on, with one camp purposely castrating the 335i to justify axing it altogether.

Audi has a 5-cyl 2.5L engine in the TT-RS that pumps out 360Hp and 343 lb-ft. Sure, that is not your typical large-production model engine, but AFAIK it is not a super-special engine. I don't see how BMW cannot do at least as well with an extra 0.5L of displacement. This must be pushed either by marketing, by too many failures on the N52, an internal struggle of some sort, or some reason we are not privy to yet. It just makes no sense.
It's simple I think.

Before, the gap between the 328 and 335 was quite large, my opinion, tuners opinions, and E90-F30 jumpers have agreed. The 328 jump makes the base 3 owners feel good, and let's face it, they will make up 80% of the sales compared to the 335.

Every car company is capable of making a 300hp 2-2.5L 4 cylinder turbo that is semi reliable and gets decent gas mileage. MB has a 300+hp A series coming soon as an AMG.

Why does BMW not do the same thing within a 3 series? Look at Porsche.

The 911 has kept the Boxster/Cayman in it's shadow. Many will tell you the new Boxster is the bees knees, could be better/faster than the 911. Porsche has always made sure they kept the power of the Box/Cay in check even though many say it's crying out for more power. Sure, some people will always have to have a 911 no matter how fast junior becomes. But if they gave the Box/Cayman 50-75hp (both base AND S), things would get very interesting.

The 335 keeps some of us happy. You hear how some around here think the 4 is sacrilege. If the N20 was FASTER and made the same power as the N55, there would still be plenty moaning about how the N55 is the sexier engine. So BMW is sure to neuter the 328 JUST enough. But fact is, the 328 N20 is a very appealing base engine and largely the most appealing base engine in the class.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1