View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm010537 View Post
Hello,

Couple of months ago an amber steering lock sign (steering with pad lock on upper left corner) started to appear on my dashboard. I did some research and found out that it has to do with electronic steering lock problem.

Since it was still an amber and not a red sign, plus I had know issues in starting the car, I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I took my car for a scheduled service to a reputed independent mechanic (since my car is out of warranty, I take my car to this mechanic only). Along with scheduled service I paid another $107 to get my steering checked. Mechanic told me that I am lucky that I haven't run into "Car not starting issue yet" and I should get my steering column replaced.

He is still in the process of getting quote for me but it's going to be around $775 (part + labor). Since car has low mileage on it, he asked me to talk to dealer about getting a goodwill.

Car details:
year: 2006
model: 325i
mileage: 49950

It's been out of warranty for past two years.

Questions:
1) I did bit of my own research and Electronic Steering lock failure seems to be a common problem in 2006 E90s. I don't think 50K is that big of a miles on this car to start showing such problems. Is it possible for me to get a goodwill for steering column replacement from BMW of NA?

I really appreciated all your guidance with this.

Thanks,
K2

Of course it's possible. In fact, demand it!

This egregious problem endemic to the first year model run should never have happened, and is a black mark in BMW history.

Again, demand your right of replacement as a true BMW driver! Warranty or no warranty, your requirement should be that the manufacturer make this right.